Walnut gluten-free bread
Gluten-free baking is not hard, but finding a recipe that works, can be! This recipe will guarantee you delicious flavour and fluffy texture, which makes it really worth sourcing the numerous ingredients. Enjoy a slice with butter and jam, or toasted with cheese.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes plus 45 minutes to rise
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Makes: 1 loaf
25ml warm water
450g Eurostar Gluten Free Premium Plain White Flour
50g coconut flour
100g walnuts – toasted
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon golden caster sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
150ml warm almond milk or regular full-fat milk
- Line a 1kg loaf tin with baking parchment so that it covers the sides.
- Mix the yeast with 25ml warm water and leave for 5 minutes for the yeast to activate. If the water is boiling hot, it will denature the yeast.
- Place the Eurostar Gluten Free Premium Plain White Flour, coconut flour, walnuts, cinnamon, xanthan gum, cream of tartar and sugar into the yeast solution and mix well.
- Add the salt and mix again to combine. You need to add the salt separately so that it doesn’t inhibit the yeast.
- Add the vinegar, milk and eggs, mixing after each addition until your dough is thick and smooth – this can be done with a Stand Mixer or by hand. Transfer the dough to your prepared loaf tin.
- Cover the dough with lightly oiled cling film and allow it to rise for 30 to 45 minutes.
- When the dough has nearly reached the end of its rise, preheat the oven to 180°C / 355°F / Gas Mark 4.
- Remove the cling film. Using a sharp knife, slash the top of the loaf about 2cm deep to control the expansion once it’s in the oven and stop your loaf from cracking.
- Bake for 35 – 45 minutes or until the dough is cooked through.