Kintaro Sushi Rice
- Put the rice in a pan or bowl and add plenty of water to wash it through. Move the rice around with your hand, draining off the cloudy water and adding fresh, until the water becomes clear
- Once clear, put the rice in a pan with sufficient water for cooking, between 1-1.5 cups water per cup of rice, and bring to the boil. Keeping the lid on, turn down to low to simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Then move the pan off the stove and leave covered, allowing the rice to steam, for another 10-15 minutes
- To finish the sushi rice, mix the rice with sushi vinegar (which is Japanese rice vinegar mixed with salt and sugar). Use approx. 12% of the total cooked rice weight. To get the best flavour, the vinegar needs to be folded into the rice while it is still warm
- Your sushi rice is now ready to be used in all types of delicious sushi. For best results use a wooden sushi bowl (sushi oke) to mix and cool the rice
This sushi rice can also be cooked in a rice cooker.