Gluten Free And Vegan Cheese And Vegemite Scones
- 225g Eurostar gluten free self-raising flour
- 50g dairy-free block margarine
- 125g vegan cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Vegemite
- 1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 60ml unsweetened almond milk plus a little extra for glazing
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan) / 400°F / Gas Mark 6. Line a baking tray with baking paper and leave in the oven to get hot
- Tip the flour into a large bowl. Cut the margarine into small squares or chunks and add to the bowl.
- Rub the margarine in to the flour with your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Grate the cheese into the bowl and add the salt, and chives, mix to combine evenly. Add the Vegemite into the milk mix to combine then slowly add the milk mixture to your flour mixture and combine if it’s to dry you can , then add cold water little by little (just a tsp at a time) until the mixture comes together into a dough. Try to work it as little as possible, just bring it together then leave it alone!
- Tip the dough out onto a floured surface, then gently roll it with a rolling pin until it is about 1.5cm thick,
- Use a small pastry cutter to cut out as many scones as you can from the dough and place them on the baking tray. Then re-roll the offcuts and keep going until all the dough has been used up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little almond milk. (don't brush the sides as this will stop them rising), then bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. These are at their best still warm from the oven, but also freeze well so why not make a double batch and keep some for a rainy day!